Past Projects (2021-22)
East is Best
The risk of touring regional works within Central and Eastern European countries (CEEC) is still considered high as resources in some parts of the region are still scarce and local audiences are more eager to attend works of internationally acclaimed dance artists. So regional talent continues to go unnoticed. The East is Best informal network was established in 2020 to develop connections, increase the visibility of regional artists, and uncover new projects.
As part of Perform Europe, the East is Best partnership – made up of Exodos Ljubljana (Slovenia), Pekinpah – Spider Festival (Slovenia), UA Association “Contemporary Dance Platform” (Ukraine), Kulturanova (Serbia), Dance Week Festival | Croatian Institute for Movement and Dance (Croatia), Workshop Foundation (Hungary) – has taken the opportunity to elevate the visibility of local talent by building a bigger network, including more partners from the region, touring 13 performance art works, and further developing its digital platform.
The nature of the partnership is rooted in balance and equity between the partners as they symmetrically share their know-how, experiences, and resources, to enhance live communication between regional producers, artists, and audiences. The partnership is also implementing inclusive principles of social justice and commitments to human and societal well-being while promoting sustainable artistic practices.
The digital platform is an experimental, non-hierarchical space for exchange that connects and bolsters dance art professionals, fosters new projects, and grows the CEEC market glocally.
The selected performances are scheduled to tour physical and virtual venues in Ljubljana, Zagreb, Sarajevo, Skopje, Sofia, Budapest, Riga, and Kyiv.
- "The road to the moon" by Rade Obradović and Katarina Bućić (Kulturanova, Serbia)
- "Inter-view" by Žigan Krajnčan (Exodos, Slovenia)
- "Poslukh" by Khrystyna Slobodianiuk (AU Contemporary Dance Platform, Ukraine)
- "Love will Tear us a Part" by Saša Božić / de facto (de facto, Croatia)
- "Drift" by David Somló (Workshop foundation, Hungary)
- "Together" by Leja Jurišić and Marko Mandić (Pekinpah and Via Negativa, Slovenia)
- "Healers" by Jasna Vinovrski (Croatia)
- "Love me tender" by Žigan Krajnčan (Exodos, Slovenia)
- "Don’t touch my eyes" by Adrijana Danchevska (Skopje Dance Theater, North Macedonia)
- "Our family garden" by Smirna Kulenović (Bosnia)
- "Shamebox" by Willy Prager and Iva Sveshtarova (Brain Store Project, Bulgaria)
- "Annihilation" by Yaroslav Kainar and Totem Dance Theatre (AU Contemporary Dance Platform, Ukraine)
- "In Horizon" by Gundega Rēdere and Association PARTY (Dance festival LAIKS DEJOT, Latvia)
- "Monochrome" by Anton Ovchinnikov (Ukraine)